- For our users in the EU, we fully comply with the EU directive regarding cookies.
- schoolreadinglist.co.uk is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. schoolreadinglist.co.uk do not directly store any information as a result of your browsing, but our hosting platform may do – for their purposes, not ours. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
- schoolreadinglist.co.uk may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from May 2012
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title (if you submit this on a reply or contact form)
contact information including email address (if you submit this on a reply or contact form)
demographic information such as postcode, preferences, and interests
What we do with the information we gather
- We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
We may use the information to improve our products and services
- We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
What is a cookie?
- Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
You can find more information about cookies at:
- Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improve the user experience. They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests. The cookies used on this website have been categorised based on the categories found in the ICC UK Cookie guide.
Category 1: strictly necessary cookies
- These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
Category 2: performance cookies
- These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance, which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works.
- By using our website, you agree that we can place these type of cookies on your device.
Category 3: functionality cookies
- These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. For instance, a website may be able to provide you with local weather reports or traffic news by storing in a cookie the region in which you are currently located. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
- By using our website, you agree that we can place these type of cookies on your device.
Category 4: targeting cookies or advertising cookies
- These cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. They are usually placed by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. Quite often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organizations.
A list of all the cookies used on this website by category is set out below.
Links to other websites
- Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
- You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
- You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998.
- A small fee will be payable.
- If you would like a copy of the information held on you please send us a message via the contact form on this website.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible via this website. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- This website: schoolreadinglist.co.uk cannot be held responsible for the content of any external site linked to from within this site.
- The content of the pages of https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk.
- Unauthorised use of https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- Hacking, right-click copying text, images or HTML code, scraping, harvesting meta descriptions, or any other form of duplication without prior permission is strictly forbidden and a breach of this site’s terms of service. It might also be viewed as a criminal act or professional misconduct.
- Your use of https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk and any dispute arising out of such use of https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- Schoolreadinglist is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.
Specific information relating to how WordPress.com and Jetpack use data
- This feature only records activities of a site’s registered users, and the retention duration of activity data will depend on the site’s plan and activity type.
- Data Used: To deliver this functionality and record activities around site management, the following information is captured: user email address, user role, user login, user display name, WordPress.com and local user IDs, the activity to be recorded, the WordPress.com-connected site ID of the site on which the activity takes place, the site’s Jetpack version, and the timestamp of the activity. Some activities may also include the actor’s IP address (login attempts, for example) and user agent.
- Activity Tracked: Login attempts/actions, post and page update and publish actions, comment/pingback submission and management actions, plugin and theme management actions, widget updates, user management actions, and the modification of other various site settings and options. Retention duration of activity data depends on the site’s plan and activity type. See the complete list of currently-recorded activities (along with retention information).
- Data Synced (?): Successful and failed login attempts, which will include the actor’s IP address and user agent.
- Data Used: If Akismet is enabled on the site, the contact form submission data — IP address, user agent, name, email address, website, and message — is submitted to the Akismet service (also owned by Automattic) for the sole purpose of spam checking. The actual submission data is stored in the database of the site on which it was submitted and is emailed directly to the owner of the form (i.e. the site author who published the page on which the contact form resides). This email will include the submitter’s IP address, timestamp, name, email address, website, and message.
- Data Synced (?): Post and post meta data associated with a user’s contact form submission. If Akismet is enabled on the site, the IP address and user agent originally submitted with the comment are synced, as well, as they are stored in post meta.
- Activity Tracked: This feature sends page view events (and potentially video play events) over to Google Analytics for consumption. For sites running WooCommerce-powered stores, some additional events are also sent to Google Analytics: shopping cart additions and removals, product listing views and clicks, product detail views, and purchases. Tracking for each specific WooCommerce event needs to be enabled by the site owner.
- Schoolreadinglist.co.uk does not operate subscriptions, nor does it hold any user data for subscriptions.
- Data Used: IP address, WordPress.com user ID (if logged in), WordPress.com username (if logged in), user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code. Important: The site owner does not have access to any of this information via this feature. For example, a site owner can see that a specific post has 285 views, but he/she cannot see which specific users/accounts viewed that post. Stats logs — containing visitor IP addresses and WordPress.com usernames (if available) — are retained by Automattic for 28 days and are used for the sole purpose of powering this feature.
- This website and its content are copyright © School Reading List 2009-present. All rights reserved.
- Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited.
- You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other forms of electronic retrieval system.
- We have placed clear and unambiguous copyright notices on every page of our website. We have also disabled printing, copying, and pasting and right-clicking on our website.
Copying content from our website requires an unusually high technical ability, and to effect copying requires ‘hacking’, which is a breach of this website’s terms and conditions, and the law – specifically the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
- Under UK law copyright infringement is a strict liability tort. Therefore it does not matter if the copyright infringement was intended or not, it is still a breach of the Copyright Act 1998. Furthermore, by copying material, in spite of the protections above, a user will have demonstrated an intent to commit copyright infringement – which for registered teachers could be construed as an act of professional misconduct that brings the teaching profession into disrepute.
- Schoolreadinglist uses Copyscape to track infringements and will always pursue infringements.
- We will send out automated copyright infringement notices to any website, person or organisation that copies our content. This will include sending notices to hosts, resellers and umbrella organisations. We will pursue damages and costs who are liable under applicable laws if infringement removals are not expedited and removed within 3 working days. We reserve the right to charge infringement fees and costs if removal is not expedited as required by local laws.
- Schoolreadinglist.co.uk does not use paid links (other than clearly identified banner advertising and affiliate links), does not offer link exchanges, does not buy or sell links, and does not offer guest posts. This site vets and checks incoming links and blocks suspicious or spam domains (individually, by site, by range block, by hosting provider and/or by tld), domains with a poor reputation or domains which have abused the trust of our website or caused harm to this website in the past. For example, livejournal.com blogger.com, blogspot.com and all Google hosting services are specifically banned from linking to this website due to past abuses.
Advertising and affiliate links
- This site uses banner advertisements which link to websites that offer the School Reading List a commission should a website user decide to buy a product. Users should assume that banner advertisements might generate commission for the School Reading List should the user decide to purchase a product. While the School Reading List goes to reasonable lengths and carefully selects and vets appropriate and relevant advertisers, the School Reading List cannot be held responsible for external content hosted on third party websites.
- Picture images of books and products on this website may generate a commission for the School Reading List should the user decide to purchase a product. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.